I want to tell you about something unusual that I have done for years that I am really passionate about. It’s something that you can do as part of your shower routine that: strengthens your immune system, improves circulation and boosts your mood and energy….
Body Brushing and showering with cold water!
I am from Finland, so it’s normal that I am drawn to the cold. For us it is completely normal in the winters to swim in a frozen lake or the roll in the snow. Since I can’t do that now that I live in Holland, I take an ice-cold shower instead. I want to share what I do and how I do it so that you can experience the health benefits as well!
You will experience the benefits of a cold shower for the whole day. No coffee necessary, you will be immediately awake! Begin slowly with the water on your torso. Start by trying this at the end of your shower for 30 seconds and then try to build up to 2 minutes and ultimately 5 minutes. The trick is to finish your shower with cold water. Your skin will glow the whole day. It goes without saying that it is no easy task to get used to the shock of the cold water. But believe it or not, you not only get used to it and before you know it, you actually enjoy it.
Before you get in the shower, there is another important step to my ritual… I brush myself with an “Energy Brush” this is just a wooden brush with tough, natural bristles. The brush will feel coarse against your skin. This also takes some getting used to but it is so effective in removing your dead skin cells and stimulating the production of new cells to keep your skin, soft, supple and youthful. It also helps your skin absorb your body lotion better, so you can get the most out of the products that you buy.
7 Reasons to take a COLD shower in the morning:
- It strengthens your immune system: It improves your body’s reaction time and stimulates the immune system, which strengthens its function as well. So, this improve your reaction time to fight against germs, viruses and other invaders.
- Improves circulation: cold water is an effective therapy protocol for people with circulation problems because it improves blood flow and oxygen distribution. People with poor circulation often feel cold and this is improved through cold water.
- Improves recovery time (after training) Again, this is due to the improved circulation factor. Because your muscles get the oxygen and energy they need faster.
- It makes you mentally stronger and more resistant to stress : It goes without saying that once you can accomplish the mind over matter to stay under a cold shower for a few minutes. You become tougher overall!
- Boosts your energy: A cold shower is very refreshing. It definitely takes some getting used to, but it’s more effective than a coffee to wake you up.
- Keeps your skin looking young: A cold shower has just as many internal benefits as external. Cold water helps strengthen your skin and promote its elasticity. The stronger your skin, the fewer the wrinkles!
- Keeps your hair healthy: Ask any hair dresser, cold water is good for your hair. Rinsing your hair with cold water locks the moisture in your hair and keeps it healthy, strong and shiny.
Now I have just one more question: When are you going to take a cold shower?